September 13, 2023 Meeting Minutes

ENA Board Meeting

September 13, 2023, 7:00 PM

Swantown Inn, 1431 11th Avenue SE

Present

Roger Horn (Vice President), Jim Sweeney (Secretary), Karen Sweeney (CNA Representative), Abigail Twombly, Jim Rioux, Nathan Allan, Cheryl Bayle

Agenda

1) Approval of the minutes

The August meeting minutes were approved with minor changes.

2) Treasurer Report

There is no treasurer’s report as the Treasurer was not present.

3) Annual Meeting

Roger reviewed the comments received via e-mail.

The board decided on the following date time and location for the Annual Meeting:

November 15,2023

7:00 PM

Swantown Inn, 1431 11th Avenue SE

Nathan suggested an update about the Plum Street Village as a potential agenda item.

Nathan has learned that the City has put out an RFP for new management of the facility. John Brown from LIHI does not think LIHI will get the contract.

Nathan outlined some key changes to the village management that should be of concern to the Board.

  • Alcohol will be permitted.
  • Staff support will be reduced.
  • Meals will no longer be provided.
  • Residents will be allowed to have guests.

Nathan thinks there should be a call to action. The village is very well managed at this time, and he is concerned that there will be detrimental impacts to the community.  Others agreed.

The board considered including this as an agenda item for the annual meeting. Several Board members expressed concerns about having something that is likely to be negative as part of the meeting.

Jim R. expressed concern about having City staff simply recite their talking points then possibly feel attacked if the discussion turned negative.

The board thought it might be best to invite City staff to our October Board meeting then provide a report out at the Annual Meeting.

Jim R. will contact Darian Lightfoot to see if someone from the homeless program can attend the October meeting.

The Board discussed how to showcase the events we have held in the past. Abigail thought that she could pull together a slideshow if people could provide her with pictures. Jim Sweeney agreed to moderate/narrate the slideshow during the meeting.

Roger thought we should spend some time talking about upcoming events and advocated for re-starting the caroling event. Roger agreed to lead the discussion of upcoming events at the Annual Meeting.

Nathan agreed to lead the discussion of the Plum Street Village changes.

Jim R. offered to put together a draft agenda for the Board to review.

4) Fall Festival

Sherry decided to get the press offered by Tim Smyth.

Jim Sweeney mentioned that it may need cleaning once we take possession.

The board reviewed volunteer needs and discussed event logistics.

Abigail agreed to get the sign board inserts and everyone agree that we should advertise soon.

Nathan suggested that we reach out to youth groups like the Boy Scouts for volunteers.

Note: On Friday 9/15 Jim Sweeney decided to cancel the festival feeling that we needed more time to prepare and ensure that we held a great event.

5) Eastside Talent Show

Roger reminded the board that it will be held at the Swantown Inn on Saturday October 14 from 3-5 pm.

He has 6 confirmed performers, and he is waiting to hear from seven other. He feels confident that we will have ten performers.

The board discussed advertising. Nathan and Roger will look at the banner that was used in the past to see if it can easily be modified for reuse.

6) CNA Report

  • The CNA is asking for articles and pictures of events that RNA’s have held. The intent is to share them with City Council.
  • The South Capitol Neighborhood is putting up a speed board. If someone is caught speeding the City sends them a letter.  Many RNAs are reporting speeding issues.
  • The Northeast Neighborhood bought an apple press years ago. They let members use it and it was returned in pieces.
  • The City continues to pursue a rental registry.
  • Council operated for years under an assumption that code prevented speakers at council from discussing an issue that was scheduled for a decision 45 days before and after that item was scheduled for a decision. They have concluded that there is no such prohibition and will stop the practice.
  • The City will move forward with a study of City sidewalk conditions. They have $100,000 to complete the study.

7) December Holiday Events

Roger discussed the events that we have held in the past, caroling and a winter walkabout to judge decorations. He felt the caroling was a great event and we should consider restarting. The walkabout was ok but did not really bring people together.

Cheryl and Abigail reminded the board that we intentionally agreed to not hold a December event because everyone is very busy at that time of year.  

The meeting adjourned at 8:15.

August 9, 2023 Meeting Minutes

ENA Board Meeting

August 9, 2023, 7:00 PM

Swantown Inn, 1431 11th Avenue SE

Present

Sherry Chilcutt (President & Treasurer), Roger Horn (Vice President), Jim Sweeney (Secretary), Karen Clemens (CNA Representative), Abigail Twombly, Jim Rioux, Nathan Allen, Cheryl Bayle

Agenda

1) Approval of the minutes

The July meeting minutes were approved with changes submitted by Roger and Mark Foutch. Thank you to both.

2) Treasurer Report

$ 571.57 – Checking

$ 964.23 – Savings

$1308.12 – Neighborhood Signs

$ 153.60 – Trees

$ 410.51 – Neighborhood Beautification

$3,408.06 Total, including a recent $50 dues payment.

3) Doughnut Crawl Debrief

Board members agreed the event was a success and if we do it again more people are likely to attend. There were positive comments on the ENA Facebook page.

4) August Picnic planning 

The Board discussed the following assignments:

  • Hank will do music
  • Jim R. will do grilling
  • Roger will bring a second grill for vegetarian and hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, and games
  • Sherry will bring the ice cream maker
  • Nathan will pick up a box of 48 burgers from Big Tom’s
  • Karen will bring 6 table cloths, napkins, and veggies from Ralphs
  • We will have a sign-up table for new members and a donation jar
  • We need to announce the September 30 Fall Festival
  • We can start setting up at 3:00

5) RNA Grant purchasing Apple Press

After purchasing the grill and ice cream maker the grant will fall short of covering the cost of an apple press and a fruit grinder. It was decided to purchase the “Maximizer” press ($699±) and grinder ($299±) with various Board members agreeing to make up the difference.

6) CNA Report

The August meeting is next Monday. The MOU has been approved and the quarterly neighborhood meetings will be scheduled.

7) Fireworks

Sherry received an email response from OPD. Lisa Parshley is expected to bring it up with the City Council.

8) Possible music focused event at Swantown Inn cosponsored by ENA

Nathan said Bradford Loomis is scheduled Wednesday August 30 at 7 PM.

9) September Event

The Fall Festival will be held at Lions Park Saturday September 30 from 10:00 to 2:00.

We will not have an event at Beerwerks in September, but may hold the annual meeting there in November.

We have 10 signs plus Nathan’s bulletin board.

10) Other:

Sherry described the problem accessing Mail Chimp. Nathan will try to access our account using two-factor authenticator.

Roger is going to invite some additional performers. There was general discussion about the using the Armory for the October 14 Talent Show. Roger agreed to contact the Armory manager about the acoustics. He will also meet with Salvation Army Worship Center as a changed location for Talent Show.

Roger, Karen and Jim S. described this morning’s Lions Park sprayground dedication.

Tim Smyth, who lives on 10th Avenue across from the Halloween house, has indicated interest in closing the street to hold a block party. The Board discussed where it would be best to set up, how best to deal with the traffic, and the best time — early evening a few days before Halloween.

Sherry will not be here for September meeting, so Roger will be the acting President.

The meeting adjourned at 8:15.

July 12, 2023 Meeting Minutes

ENA Board Meeting

July 12, 2023, 7:00 PM

Swantown Inn 1431 11th Avenue SE

Present: Sherry Chilcutt (President/Treasurer), Roger Horn (Vice President), Jim Sweeney (Secretary), Karen Clemens (CNA Representative), Abigail Twombly, Jim Rioux, Nathan Allen

Guests: Catherine Dawdy, Casey Allen

Agenda

1)  Fireworks

Sherry welcomed Catherine and asked what we can do? Catherine described being confronted by drunk belligerent people when she asked them to stop setting off fireworks near her house. Jim R. described an incident in which he was threatened in his own backyard, called 911 and got a poor response. He would like to know in writing the process for prioritizing emergency calls. It was suggested we contact Rebekah Ziesemer at OPD with a list of the locations which usually have the worst violations and request drive-by patrols, possibly before New Years’ eve. Some suggestions:

  • Lions Park
  • New Bridge Church parking lot
  • Sawyer Street near 9th Ave.
  • Town Tavern (or was it the Boulevard Tavern?)

Action items:

  • Reach out to neighborhood residents and ask about their experiences.
  • Contact Lisa Parshley to ask if Council members received complaints and their attitude toward the fireworks ban.
  • Contact Olympia Fire Department Interim Chief Todd Carson to ask about OFD’s experiences with fireworks-related calls and related costs.
  • Ask someone from the 911 call center how they prioritize calls and what to expect when we call in complaints. Wendy Hill is the Thurston County 911 Coordinator; Phone: (360) 704-2732
    [email protected]

2) Approval of the minutes

The June minutes were approved as submitted.

3) Treasurer Report

Checking $571.57

Savings $964.10

Neighborhood Signs $1307.95

Trees $153.60

Neighborhood Beautification $410.44

Total $3,407.66

4) Block Party Success!

In total about 150 to 200 people attended one of the four block parties this year.

Individual estimates were:

  • Lybarger = 25
  • 5th Ave = 35 to 40
  • Lions Park = 50
  • McCormick &13th ?

Some individual Board members’ personal expenditures were substantial. It was suggested next year we put out voluntary donation baskets.

5) August Picnic planning

The Board discussed dates for the annual picnic and a fall harvest festival. The annual picnic is scheduled for August 12. A harvest festival would be held later, depending on availability of Board members and apples.

Note: Jim S. and Karen will discuss separately and bring a proposal to the Board for discussion at our August 9 meeting.

Sherry will look for a musical performer.

Nathan will reach out to Michael at Big Toms about a donation.

Roger will bring hamburgers and hot dogs left from the Block Party on 5th Avenue.

6) RNA Grant purchasing progress

Jim R. talked about using our new grill for the first time at the Lions Park block party. Sherry reported she has purchased an ice cream maker. Jim S. asked for clarification on the funds for a cider press and fruit crusher. The grant includes $469 for a cider press and $27 for a fruit grinder, with the ENA contributing $272 cash ($299 total cost).

7) CNA Report

The CNA met in person July 10 at Squaxin Park for the first time since the pandemic. Approximately 25 to 30 attended, including some new RNA representatives.

A teacher from Evergreen talked about neighborhood-level GIS data. Each neighborhood has a “digital thumbprint” including details from the census, and includes things like potholes and missing sidewalks.

An “extra” unbudgeted $6 million is available for things like fire equipment, sidewalks, election costs, homeless coordination, a federal lobbyist, and City-owned ambulance service.

Tim Smith reviewed projects; about 1500 new residential units are under review.

The new MOU has been approved.

The first “Quarterly Forum” is scheduled to happen later this fall; the topic will be sidewalks.

Clark Gilman talked about how positive the community has been about the Armory project.

The City has released a Community engagement & public opinion survey.

The CNA loved the idea of our donut crawl.

8) Possible music focused event at Swantown Inn

Nathan is planning a live music event with Bradford Loomis, possibly on August 30.

9) New Bridge church

The Board agreed to promote events at New Bridge through the ENA website.

10) Website changes

Jim and Abigail described a July 11 meeting of the communications subcommittee with Dan Rydholm, and some ideas for updating the ENA website. One idea is to devote a monthly Board meeting to a “visioning” process to determine our mission and purpose and what we want to accomplish. The website design and other communications strategies would come out of this process.

11) Other topics

  • Roger described his progress organizing the Talent Show. He wants to have ten performers.
  • Sherry will do postings for the July 29 Donut Crawl.
  • Roger will reach out to Parks & Rec about the Sprayground opening.

June 14, 2023 Meeting Minutes

ENA Board Meeting

June 14, 2023, 7:00 PM

Swantown Inn, 1431 11th Avenue SE

Present: Sherry Chilcutt (President/Treasurer), Roger Horn (Vice President), Jim Sweeney (Secretary), Karen Clemens (CNA Representative), Nathan Allen, Abigail Twombly, Cheryl Bayle, Jim Rioux

Guest: Valerie Roberts, Armory Building Manager

Agenda:

1)         Armory Update

Valerie Roberts discussed the City’s progress developing the Armory into a Creative Campus. In her first two months as the building manager she is overseeing upgrades necessary to open the facility for public use. Valerie gave a PowerPoint presentation with a general overview of the project.

Nathan attended a “Partner Workshop” on April 13. The ENA will be invited to upcoming community meetings.

2)         Approval of minutes

            The May 10 minutes were approved with revisions courtesy of Roger & Karen.

3)         Treasurer Report

Checking $571.57

Savings $964.03

Neighborhood Signs $1307.87

Trees $153.58

Neighborhood Beautification $410.40

Total $3,407.45

4)         Block Party Planning

Four block parties have been confirmed so far. Sherry will forward flyers to post on sandwich board signs, hand out door-to-door, and post it on Nextdoor. We will encourage the CNA to apply for a grant to support block party supplies, similar to Tumwater’s ‘Neighborhood Party Kits.’

5)         June Event Advertising

The Board agreed to try and host events at local businesses such as Beerwerks every other month. Abigail will let us know the next available date and time.

We also discussed hosting a morning coffee and tea at the Swantown Inn, and a “Donut Crawl” at local coffee and pastry businesses, possibly on Saturday morning July 29.

6)         August Picnic planning

The Lions Park shelter will likely be available. The sprayground should be open by that time.

7)         RNA Grant

The Board discussed what we will need to buy and various ways to raise funds. It was suggested we use ‘Neighborhood Beautification’ funds.

Jim Rioux has purchased a BBQ. Sherry reminded us to track volunteer hours which are credited at a $37/hour rate.

8)         CNA Report

Neighborhoods reported holding many neighborhood garage Sales.

One member brought up ‘sidewalk sucker.’ (similar to Dupont etc.)

It was reported Lacey & Tumwater repair all their sidewalks.

There was no Council member present, but Tim Smith reported on many new projects the City is working on.

9)         Utility Commission Report

The Commission is discussed a proposal to give a 50% discount on water hookup fees for 100% low income units.

10)       Talent show

Roger reported on his progress on the fall talent show at the Armory. Valerie commented Parks is considering buying a stage for the drill floor. Roger said he will ask for donations at the event.

11)       Problem houses in the neighborhood (Fir and 9th) Code Enforcement?

The Board discussed the status of OPD’s neighborhood patrol and the best way to deal with problem properties and other problems.

12)       Excessive speeds on Fir

Sherry reported people walking on Fir have complained about speeding cars, especially near the Fir and 10th intersection. It was suggested we will want to talk about problems in the neighborhoods at block parties. We will ask a someone representing OPD to attend.

13)       Other items

Board members discussed ways to get information about meetings and events out, particularly through the ENA website. It was agreed we will set up a one- to two-hour training session to brainstorm some basic website upgrades. Jim S. and Nathan will coordinate setting up a time and place.

The meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM.

May 10, 2023 Meeting Minutes

ENA Board Meeting

May 10, 2023, 7:00 to 8:30 PM

1613 Union Ave SE

Present: Sherry Chilcutt (President/Treasurer), Roger Horn (Vice President), Jim Sweeney (Secretary), Karen Clemens (CNA Representative), Abigail Twombly, Cheryl Bayle

Agenda:

1) Approval of minutes

The April minutes were approved with revisions by Roger and Karen.

2) Treasurer Report

Checking $571.57

Savings $963.96

Neighborhood Signs $1307.79

Trees $153.56

Neighborhood Beautification $410.36

Total $3,407.24

3) Neighborhood Grant Application

We should know if our request is approved by June 1. The CNA is asking the City to increase the available funds.

4) Utility Committee

Sherry could not attend the recent in-person meeting because she was out of town.

5) Beerwerks

The event was a success despite the inclement weather. Some of those who attended were new to the neighborhood. Abigail suggested publishing pictures from future events.

6) Upcoming events

The Board continued its discussion of events planned for the rest of the year including:

  • June – Abigail will look for a date and time for another get-together at Beerwerks.
  • July – Block parties are tentatively scheduled for Saturday July 8, from 4 to 7 PM.
  • August – The Annual picnic is tentatively scheduled for Saturday August 12, from 4 to 6 PM.
    • Jim Rioux is scheduling the Lions Park shelter
    • We need to ask Nathan if he is willing to contact Big Tom’s about food donations
    • We hope to have RNA grant funds to buy a BBQ grill
    • We will try to find someone to play live music
  • September – Winterize your garden or other garden-related event.
  • October – The Talent Show will be held from 2:30 to 4:30 or 3 to 5 on Saturday, October 7.
    • The Armory might work as venue; there is a $116 fee.
    • Roger wants to rent a stage for performers.
    • Roger will contact Melissa Allen about performers from NE neighborhoods.
    • Roger is continuing to look for performers.

7) CNA Report

  • New residential parking regulations are going to Council, possibly on May 16.
  • The Downtown Improvement District is starting up again; focusing on safety & beautification.
  • The Comprehensive Plan update process is underway via a May 10 webinar.
  • The CNA continues to work on updating its MOU.
  • A new tiny house development is being planned on Franz Anderson Road SE, just north of I-5.
  • The Council recently held Executive Board elections. Karen is now the program and events coordinator for the CNA.
  • The Council has explored using schools for RNA meetings & events.

8) Sprayground dedication

Sherry will ask Parks for an update.

9) Other  

Jim S. talked to Dan Rydholm earlier today about electronic communications, including:

  • Formatting routine posts
  • Creating a binder to maintain up-to-date copies of social media accounts, passwords, membership, email lists, and so forth
  • Adding digital policies to the bylaws
  • Redesigning the ENA website

Dan has a wealth of knowledge and experience which he is willing to share. He can help Board members learn how to improve our electronic communications but, given a new full time job, he will not be able to do it for us.

The Board discussed other tasks we may want to include in future work plans, including:

  • Updating the bylaws
  • Updating the subarea plan

The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.