Work Party: Neighborhood Sign Project

Help set posts in buckets!
Saturday, December 2nd, 2006
@ Swantown Inn Bed & Breakfast

1431 11th Ave SE Olympia, WA 98501 (corner of 11th Ave SE and Central Ave)

Everyone and anyone from the neighborhood is welcome! We will have 22 posts to set!

We have a cement mixer and all supplies needed.

Refreshments will be provided.

October General Meeting

Eastside Neighborhood Association
General Meeting
Thursday, October 26th, 2006
@ Light and Life Bible Fellowship

1901 7th Ave SE Olympia, WA 98501

Agenda to be covered will include:

  • Pro and Con I933 Speakers
  • Update on Neighborhood Sign Project
  • Update on Old Madison School from New Bridge Community Church

Everyone and anyone from the neighborhood is welcome!

September 2006 Board meeting minutes

ENA BOARD MEETING   Thurs. Sept. 21, 2006
Swantown Inn      7:00

The meeting was called to order by Nathan, acting as president in Jody’s
absence, at 7:15.

Members present
Nathan Allan
Casey Allan
Jessica Archer
Ann Mataczynski
Carol Wilson
Mark Bergeson
Katie Stoll

Guests were Chris Hawkins  Thurston County Heatlth Department and Eddie
Willingham New Bridge Community Church.

The minutes were read and approved from the August board meeting

Eddie told us there were  currently 2 men patrolling the old Madison School
to watch for vandals and any other activity.

Mark reported that the treasury is at the break even stage currently.

The work on the neighborhood signs is continuing. Jessica and Nathan have
found a good price on the signs. Terry has gotten all the buckets we need
for mixing cement from Big Toms. Jody will order the posts. The cost will be
about $150.00 per sign.  New Bridge would like to donate some money to help
us out. Probably about $600.00
We will put the signs in buckets at the Swantown Inn. Elaine is still
working on the letters to ask businesses for donations. Jessica will
establish a list of interested people and members to approach about
financial support

Chris talked to us about the STEPS program and gave us a sheet about it. He
asked us to continue our participation in it and we agreed. We were invited
to a workshop at the Health Department and said we would try to attend.

Eddy showed us a blueprint of the proposed new church and parking lot. They
plan to create 122 new parking stalls. They are about to begin refoofing the
school. He also asked for our support during the upcoming land use hearings
and we said we would be of any support we could.

The next general meeting is scheduled for Thurs the 12th of Oct. After some
discussion it was suggested that we change the date until the 26th of
October, The reasons behind this were the fast approaching newsletter
deadline and the upcoming travel plans of many board members who would be
gone on the 12th. Nathan  agreed to contact Jody and any other board members
for their input and then get back to the rest of us.

Katie will continue work on the newsletter and get them to the printer and
then Ann.

Nathan will put together an agenda for the general meeting after talking to
Jody and then Katie can get it into the newsletter. Jessica will try to set
up a presentation on both sides of the 933 initiative. It involves land use
issues. Carol and Ann will supply the refreshments for the meeting.

Mark stated that we need to register with the Sec of State as a nonprofit
organization. He moved that we change the name of the registering agent from
Dan Kapsner(past association president) to Jody Suhrbier(current president)
it was seconded by Katie and passed unanimously.

T he meeting was adjourned at 8:50

Respectfully submitted.

Carol Wilson, secretary

September Board Meeting

Eastside Neighborhood Association
Board Meeting
Thursday, September 21, 2006
Swantown Inn, corner of 11th & Central St. SE

Agenda to be covered will include:

  • Approve last meetings minutes
  • Treasurers Report
  • Progress with Neighborhood sign project
  • October General Meeting
  • Other Updates

July Board Meeting — tentative agenda

Eastside Neighborhood Association
Board Meeting
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Swantown Inn, corner of 11th & Central St. SE

A.  Welcome and Intros
Action:  Review and Approve June Minutes

B.  Old Business
-Neighborhood Entrance Sign Project (Nathan/Jody/All)
Action:  Finalize Tasks & Timeline
-National Guard Training at Madison Elementary (Margaret)
Action:  Vote on Draft Letter (no quorum reached via email)
-Newsletter (Jody/Terry/Katie)
Action:  Appoint New Advertising Representative

C.  New Business
-Annual Picnic, August 19th (All)
Action:  Assign Tasks
-ENA/New Bridge Yard Sale, August 26th (Eddy/Jody)
-Fundraising ­ Café Press (Elaine) & Stormans (Jody)
-Treasurer’s Report (Mark)

D.  Announcements and Adjourn

Public meeting: disc golf facility assessment

The City of Olympia Parks, Arts & Recreation Department invites those interested in the sport of disc golf and/or the possibility of a disc golf facility being built, to attend a public meeting on Monday, July 24th from 6-8pm at The Olympia Center (222 Columbia St. NW), room 101/102.  For more information, please call Terry Rodgers, Associate Director, at (360) 753-8061.

June board minutes

These are draft minutes taken by Elaine Nelson, the ENA Webmaster, filling in for the secretary.

ENA Board Mtg Minutes
515 Central St.
Thurs., June 15th, 7pm

Introductions

Present

  • Jody S.
  • Margaret
  • Ann
  • Nate
  • Terry
  • Elaine (taking minutes in lieu of the absent secretary)
  • Sarah Clinton
  • Katie
  • Mark
  • [church guy]

Reviewed minutes. Question clarifying potential development on 11th & Central, office space, discussion of difficulty to see the yellow notice sign.

Jody is taking land-use notices from the city and putting them in a binder; passed it around. Terry has a mapping system, could plot them out on the map. Jody and Terry will discuss it later. [would that be good for a Google map (like on the ENA homepage)?]

Minutes were moved, seconded, approved.

Jerome Parker at last meeting about log export facility. Mark wrote a letter to be sent to the city council, with editing by Jody. Reviewed the letter. [I missed a chunk of what Mark said — ah, no rush in talking to Jerry (???).] Will let him know when it’s the best time to send it. Could be some tricky issues with appropriate timing, and when the city council can/will pay attention. Terry: do we want a response from the council letting us know what they plan to do? Mark didn’t see it as necessary to require a response; just want to let the city know where we stand. Jody: included cc to port — is that a good thing? Mark: do we want to tip our hand? Would it be useful? Terry: doesn’t think it’ll influence them at all, referenced the recent protests. Margaret: doesn’t think it’ll make any difference, but is probably the right thing to do. Others concur. Mark: could also copy or address to the city manager. Nate suggests a copy to the Olympian, might annoy some but also have influence. Katie asks what news coverage has been: some, fairly mild. Ann passed around some articles from the Green Pages. Terry was at a planning meeting about this; they have a number of trucks that bounces around, and if they really plan to go 24/7, number could double.

Will address to city council, cc Steve Hall, Port, Olympian. I can also post to Olyblog. If somebody wants to rework as a letter to the editor, that would be great.

Mark also has some articles on ship exhaust.

Action: authorize Jody to send letter at the appropriate time. Moved, seconded, approved.

Entrance sign project

No updates from Jessica. Nate has a vector version of the logo, so it can be resized. He doesn’t think Ziegler’s is ever going to get back to us. Margaret talked about the signs at East Bay Drive. Nate might take some pictures. Which kind of sign? Either can be done. We’ll do the reflective aluminum style. Also, a two-post sign might have room for hanging meeting notices. Size? 2×3 feet — which direction, where does the name go? Nate will do a mockup by the next meeting. He’s been keeping Ken (artist) in the loop. Discussion of locations.

Chipping events

Margaret: went fine, they arrived early, stayed almost the whole two hours. Not too happy with the city people’s attitude, showing up early and only wanting to stay while people were there.

Jody’s report from Tom: has had problems with people dumping debris at his house, including debris that couldn’t have been chipped. Might be good for next year to not include his address, only the phone number so people have to call first. Jody’s other idea: would like to set up a work party to help grab all the junk Tom can’t use and haul it to eastside yard waste place. Minimal charge to drop off. Margaret’s truck is available, but not this Saturday. Mark would be happy to help. Jody will talk more and let everybody know. Sarah also has a truck. Authorized spending money to dump: moved, seconded, passed.

Church update (at old Madison School)

Moving forward, finishing building planning. Trying to get in ASAP, going through conditional use process. Roof, parking are particular issues. Will be making lot more pervious. (?) Tests to be done on soil. Not planning a lot of structural changes. Current design will take some of field for parking. Timeline: still don’t know, depends on application approval.

Want to do an outdoor sale, people in the church want to contribute to the costs of moving/building/etc, through this sale. Would like to invite ENA as well; benefits of any individual’s sale would be up to that individual. Probably to be held in July. Promotion could be done jointly. Like the DNA sale, and Carylon (?) association does the same thing. Everybody would run their own table, and promote as neighborhood sale.

Brought up Jean’s comments as in the last minutes (April meeting), her concern about the organizational or financial stability of the church, whether they’ll be required to spend any money up front. They are spending plenty on the fixing-up side! Terms are favorable to them; they don’t do an offering/pass a plate, removed it from the service. Did it for the first time last week; after that, he’s excited. (Good response, obviously.) Looking forward to getting in & staying. Planning a school? No.

Timing of garage sale? Mark suggests holding off until August to coincide with promotion of picnic. Would have it at the Madison ballfield.

Issues with covered area — people taking shelter, building bonfires. Call him — call the police. Talking about making it more presentable/dressy.

Guard Training

Margaret: upset about training exercises (riot control) in the school grounds. Has never seen them doing that there before. Concerned/upset about it being done so close to the protests. Jim sent emails to the school board; their response was that they didn’t know what was going on. Letter — school grounds are parks when schools are not in session. Training was already scheduled for that time.

Mark mentioned noise complaint. Jody asked Margaret to draft a letter on our behalf; she will also be continuing to follow up with the parks dept. Terry expressed concern about continuing encroachment of military. Discussion of the protests and what actually happened. Will talk more via email.

Treasurer report

Doing a lot better than used to be doing — people responded. Up to about $500 ea. in checking/savings. Nate: how many people signed up after general meeting? Approx. 20. Will have a formal report for next meeting. Took the rest of his time to read sound bites about cargo ship exhaust. Ew!

Requested amendment to earlier motion: Jody to send final version of letter after edits.

Lakefair

Terry doesn’t want to do ice cream distribution this year. Margaret is in favor of continuing and will volunteer. Mark thinks 200 is too many, maybe just 100 or 150 split between the two spots. Need at least one other person…. Usually distribute about an hour before fireworks. Volunteer Jessica? Last year we got a $25 grant from Ralph’s towards purchase. Jody will see about getting a contribution this year.

Safety

Edison & Legion person had car breakin, bike was stolen. A couple of other people in that general area have had car breakins as well. Keep an eye out!

City governance committee meeting

Police chief spoke, provided disc with presentation and specific reports. Will be posted on our site. Nate: in general, a band of crime along 4th through downtown & Lacey. Police can’t follow trends if people aren’t reporting. Some interesting stuff about traffic patterns & accidents, too.

Newsletter

We’re okay financially to do a real newsletter. Terry has several committments for ads. Need a new rep after August. Deadline for ads will be two weeks before content deadline. Katie’s due date (baby!) is July 10, so earlier for everything is better. Discussion of costs of different sizing. Terry would like extra copies to be able to show businesses.

Will table issue of new ad rep until next meeting.

Content? Discussion of tear-off — dues, ads, signs checkboxes. Story for this time or next: what does the association do for you? Yard sale, picnic. Summary of healthy lifestyle activities? Mark will be the profiled board member. Shooting for one-page foldover.

Some problems with delivery — Katie & Jody never got theirs. Discussion of history of newsletter distribution issues.

Fundraising

Jody will follow up with Storman’s.

Elaine will look into selling tshirts, etc. via CafePress.

Ann, Mark, and Elaine will donate their healthy lifestyle stipends to the sign fund.

Updates to June board meeting agenda

Please note the following updates to the agenda for the June board meeting:

  1. Kraig Chalem, of the City of Olympia, will not be attending
  2. We will not be discussing the Bread & Roses women’s shelter on 8th Ave., as the plan to move men temporarily into that shelter has been abandoned, due largely to city conditional use permit requirements and individual neighbor feedback.  No further action is necessary at this time on this matter.

Toddler/senior stroll to Bigelow Park

Join your neighbors for a stroll next Saturday, June 17 at 10 am at the New Madison Elementary School playground. We’ll be walking to Bigelow Park for refreshments provide by the ENA. This route is particularly designed for toddlers and seniors: bring the whole family!

This event is part of the Healthy Lifestyle Club series.