ENA Board Meeting

June 14, 2023, 7:00 PM

Swantown Inn, 1431 11th Avenue SE

Present: Sherry Chilcutt (President/Treasurer), Roger Horn (Vice President), Jim Sweeney (Secretary), Karen Clemens (CNA Representative), Nathan Allen, Abigail Twombly, Cheryl Bayle, Jim Rioux

Guest: Valerie Roberts, Armory Building Manager


1)         Armory Update

Valerie Roberts discussed the City’s progress developing the Armory into a Creative Campus. In her first two months as the building manager she is overseeing upgrades necessary to open the facility for public use. Valerie gave a PowerPoint presentation with a general overview of the project.

Nathan attended a “Partner Workshop” on April 13. The ENA will be invited to upcoming community meetings.

2)         Approval of minutes

            The May 10 minutes were approved with revisions courtesy of Roger & Karen.

3)         Treasurer Report

Checking $571.57

Savings $964.03

Neighborhood Signs $1307.87

Trees $153.58

Neighborhood Beautification $410.40

Total $3,407.45

4)         Block Party Planning

Four block parties have been confirmed so far. Sherry will forward flyers to post on sandwich board signs, hand out door-to-door, and post it on Nextdoor. We will encourage the CNA to apply for a grant to support block party supplies, similar to Tumwater’s ‘Neighborhood Party Kits.’

5)         June Event Advertising

The Board agreed to try and host events at local businesses such as Beerwerks every other month. Abigail will let us know the next available date and time.

We also discussed hosting a morning coffee and tea at the Swantown Inn, and a “Donut Crawl” at local coffee and pastry businesses, possibly on Saturday morning July 29.

6)         August Picnic planning

The Lions Park shelter will likely be available. The sprayground should be open by that time.

7)         RNA Grant

The Board discussed what we will need to buy and various ways to raise funds. It was suggested we use ‘Neighborhood Beautification’ funds.

Jim Rioux has purchased a BBQ. Sherry reminded us to track volunteer hours which are credited at a $37/hour rate.

8)         CNA Report

Neighborhoods reported holding many neighborhood garage Sales.

One member brought up ‘sidewalk sucker.’ (similar to Dupont etc.)

It was reported Lacey & Tumwater repair all their sidewalks.

There was no Council member present, but Tim Smith reported on many new projects the City is working on.

9)         Utility Commission Report

The Commission is discussed a proposal to give a 50% discount on water hookup fees for 100% low income units.

10)       Talent show

Roger reported on his progress on the fall talent show at the Armory. Valerie commented Parks is considering buying a stage for the drill floor. Roger said he will ask for donations at the event.

11)       Problem houses in the neighborhood (Fir and 9th) Code Enforcement?

The Board discussed the status of OPD’s neighborhood patrol and the best way to deal with problem properties and other problems.

12)       Excessive speeds on Fir

Sherry reported people walking on Fir have complained about speeding cars, especially near the Fir and 10th intersection. It was suggested we will want to talk about problems in the neighborhoods at block parties. We will ask a someone representing OPD to attend.

13)       Other items

Board members discussed ways to get information about meetings and events out, particularly through the ENA website. It was agreed we will set up a one- to two-hour training session to brainstorm some basic website upgrades. Jim S. and Nathan will coordinate setting up a time and place.

The meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM.