ENA Board Meeting

May 10, 2023, 7:00 to 8:30 PM

1613 Union Ave SE

Present: Sherry Chilcutt (President/Treasurer), Roger Horn (Vice President), Jim Sweeney (Secretary), Karen Clemens (CNA Representative), Abigail Twombly, Cheryl Bayle


1) Approval of minutes

The April minutes were approved with revisions by Roger and Karen.

2) Treasurer Report

Checking $571.57

Savings $963.96

Neighborhood Signs $1307.79

Trees $153.56

Neighborhood Beautification $410.36

Total $3,407.24

3) Neighborhood Grant Application

We should know if our request is approved by June 1. The CNA is asking the City to increase the available funds.

4) Utility Committee

Sherry could not attend the recent in-person meeting because she was out of town.

5) Beerwerks

The event was a success despite the inclement weather. Some of those who attended were new to the neighborhood. Abigail suggested publishing pictures from future events.

6) Upcoming events

The Board continued its discussion of events planned for the rest of the year including:

  • June – Abigail will look for a date and time for another get-together at Beerwerks.
  • July – Block parties are tentatively scheduled for Saturday July 8, from 4 to 7 PM.
  • August – The Annual picnic is tentatively scheduled for Saturday August 12, from 4 to 6 PM.
    • Jim Rioux is scheduling the Lions Park shelter
    • We need to ask Nathan if he is willing to contact Big Tom’s about food donations
    • We hope to have RNA grant funds to buy a BBQ grill
    • We will try to find someone to play live music
  • September – Winterize your garden or other garden-related event.
  • October – The Talent Show will be held from 2:30 to 4:30 or 3 to 5 on Saturday, October 7.
    • The Armory might work as venue; there is a $116 fee.
    • Roger wants to rent a stage for performers.
    • Roger will contact Melissa Allen about performers from NE neighborhoods.
    • Roger is continuing to look for performers.

7) CNA Report

  • New residential parking regulations are going to Council, possibly on May 16.
  • The Downtown Improvement District is starting up again; focusing on safety & beautification.
  • The Comprehensive Plan update process is underway via a May 10 webinar.
  • The CNA continues to work on updating its MOU.
  • A new tiny house development is being planned on Franz Anderson Road SE, just north of I-5.
  • The Council recently held Executive Board elections. Karen is now the program and events coordinator for the CNA.
  • The Council has explored using schools for RNA meetings & events.

8) Sprayground dedication

Sherry will ask Parks for an update.

9) Other  

Jim S. talked to Dan Rydholm earlier today about electronic communications, including:

  • Formatting routine posts
  • Creating a binder to maintain up-to-date copies of social media accounts, passwords, membership, email lists, and so forth
  • Adding digital policies to the bylaws
  • Redesigning the ENA website

Dan has a wealth of knowledge and experience which he is willing to share. He can help Board members learn how to improve our electronic communications but, given a new full time job, he will not be able to do it for us.

The Board discussed other tasks we may want to include in future work plans, including:

  • Updating the bylaws
  • Updating the subarea plan

The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.