Neighborhood Meeting Minutes August 2017

Present: Nathan, Brian, Sam, Sherry, Roger, Jim, and Charlotte
Minutes from July approved Treasurers report see attachment. Approved
We have a little money.
1. CNA Report
• There is a new system on the Smart Gov website that provides information about permit requests in Olympia it will also provide information about code violations in Olympia. There will be a hard launch in September. The city plans to digitize all past permit requests.
• The City has plans to extend West Bay Park but it hasn’t gone to the commission yet. They want to hire an artist and maybe involve the Squaxin Tribe. They want to build a path from Rotary Point to Westbay that would connect to Tug Boat annies. It would make a big W trail connecting Eastbay and Westbay.
• Candidate Forum (see below)
2. Sub-Area Plan meeting – Went OK. Last night during the city council meeting there was one concern was about the issue of the city getting information about the work from the planning committee instead of ENA Board. We may want to change the process to note that the planning committee’s work would be reviewed by the ENA Board but not arbitrarily changed by them. The Planning Committee is not accountable to the neighborhood, the ENA Board is. Otherwise they got full endorsement from the City Council. Next step will be an August 30th Planning Com Mtg. – to develop the outreach strategy. It will be held at Elk Lodge. The Sub-area core group will invite those who’ve singed on.
3. The downtown Neighborhood Association has ceded the area between us and Plum. There is a need to address this in the planning committee mtg. Our by-Laws say Eastside. It would be OK to include to Plum. The County “island” has been annexed by the city of Olympia. It makes sense to extend 2 blocks to Plum. We need to take steps to communicate with the city about it. Citizens that live there should have a say also. Note, the old department of revenue is going to be converted to apartments. Sam will draft a letter to the city and craft a plan for getting input from residents.
4. Summer Picnic – Ralph’s and Co-op were asked for donations. The Co-op OK’d $75-100. The money will be used to buy sides and condiments. Ralph’s will let us know later this week. We still need water, ice cream, juice, LaCroix and ice. Brian will bring his barbeque. Nathan spoke to Big Tom’s – he said yes, and he will confirm this week (1 box of burgers = 154 burgers – last year we got 2 boxes). We had some left over. The committee recommended asking for 2 boxes We need to pre-authorize $200 of spending for last minute needs – motion passed. Roger offered 24 vege burgers. Sherry will give Brian a gift card. Sam will gave Brian Co-op Goldcard for a 20% discount. Sam will help move the BBQ. Hank can bring speakers and maybe sing. We can hook the speakers up to an I-pod if needed. Got fruit and cut it up last time. Brian is looking for volunteers to help. We need to have subarea plan materials to hand out and maybe make an announcement about the candidate forum. We’ll need signs for the picnic, sign boards. Sam will prep a flyer and e-mail for comment. Sherry has 3, Nathan has others.
5. Candidate Forum – CNA people want to link up with us – Crana/Cane Road Neighborhood Association, South Capital Neighborhood Association, and Carlyn Neighborhood Association want to do it with us. Sam and representatives from those other Neighborhood Associations are meeting at 3:45 on August 25th to discuss it. Looking at a location and format. Maybe have prepared questions and have candidates answer questions. There was discussion about including speakers about the Home Fund, Public Safety, the port and school board elections? The group decided to focus on City Council candidates and public safety and home fund. Sheryl will talk about issues in favor. Counter point people will also be invited. Maybe do it at the Elks Lodge or New Bridge. The Board wants to do it in our neighborhood. We want to encourage collaboration between neighborhoods. One option for the forum is to give each candidate a table and allow people to walk around and talk to them. Schedule it for the October 4th mtg. at Elks Lodge; other Neighborhood Associations may have input about including candidates to talk about the port/school board issue. Roger will communicate with the candidates.
6. Continuing Business – Dog bag stations: PVC pipes could be used. Put them on the existing stations attached to the side. We could zip tie them up. Sherry/Hank will make them. The motion to purchase materials $10-30 per was passed. Jim volunteered to help. Bags that could go in the PVC pipes cost $150 from Amazon.
7. New Business – Winter 2018 Caroling and Walk Window Painting. Nathan’s place is a good jump off place for the walk. Volks-walk would be invited. January is an OK month. Could have more people. They need a new Volks-walk route in Olympia. It should be a 5k or 10k route. Spring event – talent show. Olympia Univ. Unitarians on December 9th are having a talent show. Roger will explore and let us know. Annual meeting in the Spring may be at Newbridge. Yearly cleanup day could be a Spring activity. Have someone from the Board lead that. Garage sale, thing should be picked up again

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>